ANST - Chalice of Silver

Pamela S Keightley pkeight at vvm.com
Mon Sep 27 08:59:54 PDT 1999

For Those in Search of the Holy Grail,
  The book I am reading is _Celtic Christianity: Ecology and Holiness:
An Anthology_. Now doesn't that sound like a book you would find in an
Austin Used book store?
 It does a pretty good job of setting the scene of how Christianity came
to Ireland and then has examples of prayers, parts of various lives and
meditations. The excerpt from St. Patrick's Life reads like an ancient
Irish Wonder Tale of a Celtic Hero. Well, I guess St. Pat qualifies.When
St. Patrick became a bishop he was given his name: "Then too the name
‘Patricus' was given unto him, a name of power as the Romans think, to
wit, one who looseth hostages." Both my Mother and sister are named
Patricia and I had always heard it meant Patrician. I like this meaning
better.
 Here is one prayer from the Celtic  anthology that I really liked. The
Knightly virtues and the search for the Holy Grail would certainly fit
in here.  This is by Findian of Clonard, "Tutor of Saints" translated by
Molloy Carson.

He is a bird round which a trap is closed,
A leaking ship unfit for a wild sea,
An empty vessel and a withered tree,
Who lays aside God's wishes unimposed.
He is the sun's bright rays, pure gold and fine,
Holy and Happy, beautiful in love -
Who does the will of God in Heav'n above.

I guess I need to go polish my "Silver Chalice."
In Service,
Pamela Hewitt, the Harper