ANST - meeting of two cultures ... was: something else, but evloved

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Tue Sep 28 14:10:13 PDT 1999

On 28 Sep 99, at 13:51, keyna wrote:

> Sounds like you had a blast!!!

while the martial & yoga aspects were welcome, the best thing i took out that
association (with the sikh's at their ashram in houston ...) was the
development of a taste for green tea & kimchee

me and the mate were wandering down westheimer on a cold, windy, & wet
halloween in our normal funky-weather gear - black leather jackets, leather
jeans, heavy boots ... with our normal heavy walking sticks (aka "street
maces") ... just a somewhat scary looking couple out enjoying the night (was
still wearing the beard *long* at the time - near to belt, and we both had
waist length hair worn down ... )

any road, near to the house we ran into a upset sikh woman was being hasseled
by some annoying kids that bailed when we walked up.  she asked if we would
walk her back to the ashram (did'na dawn on me at the time that we looked like
"family").  so we wandered by and she insisted on introducing us to the
members.  that was a wierd scene, definitely a "us" and "them" meeting of two
barbarian tribes.

the head of the ashram offered us some of the most blazing hot kimchee i have
ever eaten (i think it was a test) ... when we both scarfed it down and truely
enjoyed it, the ice was broken (wonder how many alliances have been made over
kimchee ... ???) and they realized that while different, we were exactly the
same as they were .... warrior types trying to get by on the "edges" of the
civilization we were stuck in ... they on one pathway, we on another, ... but
still pretty much the same).

thus began a long and productive literal alliance between our households... one
of the things right behind Rice that i missed after i moved away ...

'wolf

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)