ANST - pickled meats ... was: odd cleanups ... earlier: question: hound decontamination

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Thu Sep 30 13:56:50 PDT 1999

On 30 Sep 99, at 15:37, Mark.S Harris wrote:

> Blackwolf commented:
> > someone on the herbal list mentioned something my grandmother used to use, and
> > i had forgotten about until reminded - vinegar ... guess the smell of a giant
> > pickle beats the smell of deceased & fermented squirrel (grin).
>
> There you go, cover the smell up. I believe you mentioned liking Kim-chee
> recently. You could try that. :-) From what I remember when a co-worker
> used to bring it to holiday parties, that stuff should cover up *any* smell.

took over a year for the smell of the jar that blew up in my truck to fade
..... down side was that i was looking for a "dry" approach (was middle of the
night and wanted minimal hassels ... "wipe on, wipe off") and while i love
munching down on kimchee, not overly keen on sleeping in it (grin)

about a month back made mistake of putting a newly opened jar down and walked
away to answer the phone ... came back to find that he (culainn the weasel,
hound in question) had knocked it and a guniess over and was happily snarfing
it all down.  he got a little snappy & snarly when i took it away from him
(after all it was *my* lunch, not his)

> .. then the smell of deceased & fermented squirrel might be the preferred smell
> over kim-chee. :-0

fermented cabbage & fermented squirrel .... definitely might be a possibility
there - can call it "korean roadkill".

closest i have eaten was stir-fried snake (rattler) pickled in rice-vinegar a
couple seasons back that wasn't bad at all ... i frequently prepare chicken
this way and figured "why not".  which brings up a periodic tangent - what ya'
got in your files on "pickled meat" ????

'wolf

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)