ANST - strange craziness in the texas legislature

Laughing Boy pantelone at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 05:02:10 PDT 1999

>In my SCA gear resides a double-edge knife, shorter than the legal 5 1/2
>inches. How does Texas define a "dagger"? Is it any double-edge knife???

Yes.  Any double edged blade, regardless of length, is considered a dagger
by the State of Texas.

>Does "on or about his person" include carrying in your vehicle? Or can you
>only keep them in a display case at home?

On or about does include in your vehicle.

>My presumption is as long as you are not doing something stupid, you're not
>going to be cited for any of these laws.
>
>Curiously,
>Galen

Hopefully that is how it will work, yes.  The other passages cited,
specifically 46.15 (e) detail how carrying an "illegal knife" can now be
permitted.  There is another passage, that could dovetail into this one,
given how the law can be interpreted in many ways.  It is as follows:
46.15 Nonapplicability
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(4) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or **other sporting activity**
on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is directly
enroute between the premises and the actor's residence, if the weapon is a
type commonly used in the activity.

** emphasis being mine

After talking to a number of our officers, the general consensus is this.
If you have blades in your car, and are going to or from an event, fighter
practice, populace, demo, etc, and you explain fully why you have the items,
there should be no problem.  If you stop at a Walmart or other establishment
enroute to or from any of the above, expect to be stopped and possibly have
the items confiscated.  It was agreed that any SCA jaunt into a mundane
establishment/area did not constitute a historical demonstration.

If I didn't fully answer any question, or if anyone would like further
explanation, just let me know.

Ruga