ANST - Camp Beds .... was: Rope Beds

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Mon Sep 27 13:42:56 PDT 1999

here's a gem from my house archives that might be of interest in this
discussion .... detailed plans for a 10th century norse bed.

http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/bedplan.html

it's not a "rope" bed (with the inherent problems others have noted) but a
"slat" bed designed for breakdown and portability ... excellent plan details.
something like this with a futon or a camping mattress would be great (i sleep
on something similar at home - futon on wooden slats)

for ease of setup, i would make some changes to the design, stealing some
design ideas from my home frame and some other ideas that i've been toying
with:

.... build the frame using commercial "break-down" fittings that lock in place
.... put a simple ledge inside the frame
... attach the slats to a fabric/nylon strap on each end (to space the slats
and allow for roll-up).   the edges of the assembly sit inside the frame on
this ledge
... add a pin at the four corners to lock the assembly in place
... build two wooden chests (drawers even) to serve as supports at head and
foot ... gets the frame up off ground, creates storage stape underneath,
spreads weight so as not to puncture tent floor.

design would setup and breakdown *fast*, store and transport easily.

'wolf

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)