ANST - pickled meats ... was: odd cleanups ... earlier: question: hound decontamination

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Sep 30 15:11:41 PDT 1999

j'lynn yeates wrote:
> fermented cabbage & fermented squirrel .... definitely might be a possibility
> there - can call it "korean roadkill".
>
> closest i have eaten was stir-fried snake (rattler) pickled in rice-vinegar a
> couple seasons back that wasn't bad at all ... i frequently prepare chicken
> this way and figured "why not".  which brings up a periodic tangent - what ya'
> got in your files on "pickled meat" ????
>
> 'wolf

Pickled stir-fried snake in rice-vinegar really doesn't sound too bad at all.

Pickled foods were definitely a period food preservation process. Before I got
into the SCA, I thought all "pickles" were cucumbers. I've since learned that
they pickled a much larger variety of foods than you can easily find pickled
today. Check this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
pickled-food-msg  (67K)  9/28/99    Medieval pickled food. recipes.

As these pickled foods often use vinegar, this file might also be of interest:
vinegar-msg       (31K)  8/24/99    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.

There is also a bit on sauerkraut (pickled cabbage) in this file:
fd-Germany-msg    (57K)  8/ 4/99    Medieval and Period German food. Cookbooks.

There were intentionally rotted foods, too. Which if I understand correctly,
is
what kim-chee is, rotted cabbage. Check these files:
murri-msg         (28K)  5/11/99    Rotted barley paste condiment of Arabia.
garum-msg         (17K)  3/ 4/99    Roman fish sauce made from fermented fish.

Period preservation methods are one way to avoid or minimize the use of
ice chests at events. I also have these files on period and modern food
preservation techniques and recipes:
canning-msg       (32K) 11/11/98    Use of canning in the SCA. Directions.
  (not period, but useful in the SCA)
drying-foods-msg  (35K)  8/24/99    Drying foods in period and for the SCA.
eggs-msg         (107K)  7/26/99    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.
food-storage-msg  (91K)  4/ 9/98    Storing and preserving food in period. Non-
                                      refrigerated food for camping and Pennsic.
ham-msg           (21K)  8/31/99    Period ham. Modern sources. Recipes.
meat-smoked-msg    (8K)  9/17/99    Medieval smoked meats. Smoking meats.
stockfish-msg     (72K)  8/30/99    Period preserved fish. Dried, smoked and
                                       salted fish. Recipes.

My Florilegium is located on the web at:
http://lonestar.texas.net/~lg_photo/florilegium/

Hope this is of interest to some folks.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net