ANST - Question About Skin Tone in Middle Ages

Dawn Resz caitlyno at texas.net
Sat Apr 1 10:49:44 PST 2000

I don't know if there is a medieval guide to women's skin care, but I do
know that skin a white as it could be was a show of beauty.  From what I
have read in literature, a man would admire a woman, one of the attributes
that would be listed was "snow-white" skin.  I would be guessing, but a
tanned skin tone would be proof the barer of such skin was a member of the
working class.

I'm just gathering this from what I've learned from Shakespeare, Chaucer and
authors that wrote about that period.  (though they could be reflecting
their own time period's biases.).  Might be something worth researching!