ANST - Royal Huntsman

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Mon Apr 3 08:15:54 PDT 2000

Pug wrote:
I do feel that the work you are doing with the competitions and the
medalions for different things are a good step forward. If things continue
to grow well, it may be something in the not too distant future. I do not
see it being something in the present though.

To which Gilli says:

Thank you for your kind words.  It's one step in a long road.  First we gave
quivers for a few years as prizes. Then we gave out combat ranges as prizes,
a total of six.  And the numbers kept getting smaller and smaller.

I haven't been seeing growth but the opposite of it.  Now let me qualify
that.  I've seen a decline to almost nothing for those folks who shoot the
Society wide competitions.  Why?  Don't know for sure, probably as many
reasons as there are lack of archers shooting it.  These competitions aren't
hard and someone's bad score dosen't hurt a thing.  But the fun stuff seems
to bring them out.

Unfortunately the "fun stuff" doesn't improve the Kingdom's standing.  Then
at the end of the year when the Kingdom is sucking sand in the standings,
folks say "well maybe if they did better we could see them getting an
award".  So what happened to the year we won the IKCAC?  Same as years we
didn't, nothing.  I guess they thought, they won so they don't need support.
A catch 22 perhaps?

Gilli