ANST - Is the Crown Watching?

DAFPIG at aol.com DAFPIG at aol.com
Mon Apr 3 08:57:07 PDT 2000

Greetings All,

In a very perceptive message, a good gentle wrote:

 > Earlier someone commented that the Crown should show more interest in
 > archery than just creating a new possition....I beleive it was suggested
 > that they watch the archery shoots and participate.
 >  Do you all realize just how busy the crown is at an event?  At any given
 > event there are at least five people that have serious business to discuss
 > with them, they are obligated to watch at least some of the fighting
 > (Sable Falcons and Queens Rapiers are usually decided by acts on the field
 > that day), attend the A&S (often asked to judge), hold circles, make plans
 > for court, attend bardic, attend feast, and be acceceable to any of their
 > subjects that want a bit of their time.  There is rarely time left to draw
 > a breath.>>>

Amen to this!!  As a former crown, I can easily vouch for this missive!!  If
a crown is doing thier :job" well, The populace should never know that the
crown is being pulled in 100 different ways at once.  Meaning..the crown
tries to smile and be attentive to everyone they can, giving the illusion
that we have all the time in the world for them :).  Also,I feel that it is
one of the crowns duties to be as supportive as possible to each of the given
activities done at an event.  However, this is just not always possible.

There were many times I missed a particular event I was Very interested in,
because of kingdom busness or just addressing some gentle that required my
attention.  Some of these gentles did not have "serious" busness or
"kingdom-shattering news", but merely wanted to speak pleasantries with their
crown. They deserve our attention as well as the next gentle.

I'm not trying to make "excuses" for the crown missing your activity, but
merely asking you to consider why they may be absent. Please give them the
same consideration you would anyone else,, give them the benefit of the
doubt.  Perhaps they really do want to be there,,but just cant make
it...sigh.....Please remember that YOUR crown are just 2 gentles trying to do
the best job the can for you.

Still chasing my dream,
Octavia
countess of Ansteorra