ANST - Archers & Archery, etc.

Debbie Dewart darcy at seacove.net
Mon Apr 3 16:23:09 PDT 2000

---Timothy of Glastonbury said something like:

>Greetings all,
>

>First, archery will not be forwarded by shunning conversation about our
>practices among the populace as a whole.  I encourage everyone to voice
>their opinion and to ignore those who feel that only archer's can speak on
>'archer issues'.

This is and isn't true.  Archers are more aware of what is going on in their
community than non-archers but others have gone through similiar growing
pains (rapier for instance) that the archery community can benefit from
their experience.

>Second, archery as it stands, especially target archery, is forwarded by
>such a small group of people that I can name the most likely people to see
>at a range at any event.  That is not a community sufficient to support an
>award at this time.

I have to disagree with this.  I believe there is a larger archery community
than most people are aware of but it simply is not very well organized.

>So, how do we make more people interested.  I offer the following
>suggestions :
> * Make a major push to get B&B's and the Crown to attend shoots at
>some events.  For instance, I'd wager that TRM intend to watch the
>competition to choose their Royal Huntsman.
> * Have more 'show', 'pomp' and 'display' in an archery competition.
>Don't just have a bunch of archer's go to the line all at once and shoot.
>Have pairs of archers shoot against each other.  Employ heralds, and have
>great display of heraldry.  Make the dream, most people in the SCA are just
>/drawn/ to activities that embody the dream.

Obviously, you most have enjoyed the Nobles Archery Shoot HL Gilli organized
at ATYC.  I believe the heralds had great fun and the archers were dazzling
in the tabards and baldrics supplied by the sponsering Nobility.

> * Act like a community that is a part of this kingdom.  Don't just
>reward the winners at the range, get some court time, and show it off.

Were you at evening court at Southern Regional Festival?  The winner of each
archery competition was brought up in court.  but you are right this needs
to be done at every event where there is any archery competition.

>Take students to teach your art.

While there is as yet no formally recognized system of taking students in
archery, I know of no archer who is not willing to share is knowledge with
others.

Develop a recognizable notation of said students.  Squires and Cadets carry
no rank or precedence, but they are highly sought after stepping stones to
the achievement of the actual awards, etc.

This is an excellent idea.

>I'm sure that much of this has been tried, and thought of.  But new ideas
>will have to continue to be brought forward to help make archery more
>visible and more of a mainstay of the SCA in Ansteorra.

Thank you for your interest and concern.

Ever in service,

HL Darcy Evaline o Lasgwm
Proud member of the Archery Community
Lady of House Ursa Dormant - an archery household