ANST - Royal Huntsman

harry billings psobaka at mail.myriad.net
Mon Apr 3 17:37:29 PDT 2000

>> Are you an archer?  If not, why are you worried about what they may or may
>> not get?
>>
>Well, that came across as rather rude, don't you think?

Wasn't me but some days one gets tired of being PC and goes off the deep
end. What are they going to do not recogniz your "sport"?

>As I see it, the respondent was not so much concerned with what the archers
>get, as much as saying "put the horse before the cart".  As I understand it
>there were only 8 IKAC scores submitted last year from Ansteorra (please do
>correct me if that is wrong, I would rather it be higher).  It is not time
>to be asking when archery is going to get an armigerous award; instead the
>question is how to get archery more main stream.

8 is close enough but it used to be higher. We have lost ground as to number
of shooters.

>Many, many years ago I lived in a Kingdom that was, for a great part of it,
>very urban, very liberal (implying that hunting was kind of frowned on) and
>very strong in archery.  I shot there often (we had a bi-monthly archery
>practice at an indoor range), and participated in the Pensic War point.
>
>Then I came to Ansteorra, a kingdom that is mostly rural, strong in hunting
>all styles, and very week in archery.  I didn't understand it at the time,
>and frankly still don't. My assumption would be that archery would be more
>prominent here than in NYC.

Having a friendly indoor range may and probly is better than being in an
outdoor (hunting) environment (insert your choise of snuff and repeat after
me "we're ge'tn ready for hunt'g season)

>There has been an increased emphasis on archery here, but primarily in
>Combat.  Target archery is still languishing in obscurity.  This is the
>issue, Gilli, that you should be addressing.

It is hard to address an issue when no one shows up to here the address.
Gilli sets up a target range almost every time he sets up a combat range.
The issue is that people have to chose where to put their entertainment
dollar. And where they can get the most in return. In heavy fighting you can
be a Knight in rapier fighting you can be a Don in A&S you can be a Laurel
in service you can be a Pelican in archery you can be a Kings Archer (non
AoA) and feel good, that goes with all the above, where are you going to
spend you $200.00 to get started?