ANST - Thank You! Your Majesties

Debbie Dewart darcy at seacove.net
Tue Apr 4 08:36:51 PDT 2000

Signora Oriana Francesco wrote:

>I have patiently bided my time and listened to this thread of
>bickering long enough. And whether or not I be overstepping my
>bounds, I feel it is time for me to voice some opinions and deal with
>the repercussions.

You are certainly not over stepping your bounds in expressing your opinions.
Just beware that as you disagree with some others will disagree with you.
try not to take anything that goes on to personally.

<snip>

We finally have something to
>shoot for (pun most definitely intended) and all anyone can think to
>do is berate the very concept as though it were an insult to the very
>depths of our souls.

In spite of the impression you may have gotten from the list, we are
actually delighted to have a position in the royal entourage that is
equivalent to the King's Champion and the Queen's.

And then the thread has continued on miserably
>whining

We're sorry if we appear to be whinning, but we care deeply about our sport.
Any recreation of the middle ages would be the poorer without archery.  Some
of the earliest stories I remember reading as a child were those about Robin
Hood.  Some of the first advise I receive on chosing a name and persona 19
years ago went along these lines"  You can not be an actual historic person
or famous fictional character but you can be one of the unnamed members of
Robin's merry men.  and then you can tell stories like "One day when Robin
Hood and I were escaping from the sherriff . . ."

<snip>

>Most archers in this kingdom have got a burr buried so deep in their
>armor that they are almost unapproachable (I'm speaking from
>first-hand experience). It is the most aloof and stand-offish CLIQUE
>in the SCA.

I am certainly sorry that your experience with the archery community has not
been good.  I, myself, have found the other archers to be warm and friendly,
generous in passing on  their skills and knowledge and always eager to share
their sport with others.  They are always happy to have spectators at
shoots and happy to answer any and all questions.  I know very few archers
who are not willing to let some one borrow their tackle to give archery a
try.  and those that don't usually have a perfectly unstandable reason that
only the most oafish person would take offense at.

Lord Kainin Tepesa wrote:

I also have to agree with her that
>the problems that archery is facing (low numbers, low respect) is
>based on the cliquish behavior of the biggest proponents of the
>growth of the sport.

Once again, I am sorry that your perception of the archey community has been
so negative.

Always in service

HL Darcy Evaline o Lasgwm
Proud member of the archery community
Lady of House Ursa Dormant - an archery household