ANST - re: Rumors of Disney taking over the world ....

Gerald L. Norris Jr. jerryn at houston.rr.com
Tue Apr 11 06:00:43 PDT 2000

One of the most popular past times in all human culture appears to be "the
rumor".

In the case of the Texas Rennaisance Festival and the rumored Disney
take-over, it just ain't so.

There are a few things wrong with the scenario (not enough readily available
land for a Disney project, flooding, etc.), but there's just enough right
(Money made, theme park atmosphere) for the rumor to continue.

I'm not trying to "kill" this particular rumor (they're like wood roaches;
pound 'em with a shoe and they still keep going and going and going ...),
but I'm slated to be liason for the 2001 season, and the amount of work that
continues to pour into the rest of the festival area (adding the rose
garden, the fountain garden, more parking, etc.) just doesn't give that
appearance of having given in to Disney (or any other form of the dark side
besides Mammon (not that Mammon's a bad person, understand, just gets out of
hand from time to time when I'm looking at musical instruments).

That and the fact that they're already selling tickets for the 2000 season
should settle any rumors, at least for this year.  Next year's rumor, "Bill
Gates wants to take over the park and people it with audio-animatronics.
He'll partner with Disney to obtain the software/hardware configurations."
Later, this will turn into a move used similarly by Gates in teaming with
Apple.  The service Gates' is working on?

Receptionist 2010.

your humble servant,

Gerald L. Norris Jr. -- Houston, Tx.
Gerald of Leesville, a bard of Stargate -- Kingdom  :  Ansteorra
Husband, father, lover, singer, writer
I used to know everything, but then I realized just how unimportant it all
was.