ANST - Ballista resource

Lawrence D. Ruiz lruiz at interconnect.net
Mon Apr 17 10:56:18 PDT 2000

Greetings brethren,

Ballistas can be found on the Ansteorran Siege Engine Page at
http://www.ansteorra.org/regnum/marshal/siege_weapons/default.htm

I have requested a hands-on class at King's College specifically for making
a ballista.  From just the raw material, we will construct in an hour a
ballista for war.

Lastly, Society's recommendation of ballista bolts being treated as arrows
is not the standard for Gulf War.  Ballista bolts will kill a shield man.  I
am fighting hard for this to be the society standard as well.  I will not
bore you with why this even came up, but just know the ballista bolt does
kill shield men.

The question of how many bolts to make has appeared.  I recommend 20
bolts/machine.  The standard golf tube bolt is usually transferable between
ballistas.  So if one machine is taken out by a trebuchet rock, the bolts
can be gleaned for use by other weapons.

Standard crew for ballistas is 3 men.

An update to the plans available on line.  Put a cheap boat crank on the end
of your ballista.  This may come up at war next year (it is still being
argued).

Thank you Your Majesty and Your Highness.

I remain in your Service,
Ld. Lawrence the Rampant of Ram's Isle
DEM Siege Weapons - Ansteorra