ANST - A bit of Ansteorran History

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Thu Apr 27 07:36:22 PDT 2000

direct from one of the main players ... straight from the knights
mouth so to speak, the response to the origional request for
information is complete and unedited (he copied it to self *and* to
the list, but to the wrong list-address), though i did throw in a few
explanitory notes.

and you must remember, when you ask about ansteorras early history,
you ask about many things that some prefer not to remember, reality
that has been turned into myth, or that have been "rectified" by the
political powers that be over the years.  such is the nature of a
history.

in snaswer to the posted question, these are the words of Sir
Balthazar of Endor:

Dear Brother Wolf (et al),

Yes, I was and am a Ringthegn to Ravensword. Sir Sean and Mistress
Katerina as Prince and Princess of Ansteorra (one or two Rs?) created
and closed the order. Forget whether or not it was given as a
Principality Award or just to us personally from their house.

I was first Knight Marshal of The Star Without Peer, Sean and
Katerina
were first Prince and Princess. Magickal times. As I must have told
someone, when they stepped down to Constance and Randall (may the
stay
well...) I presented Sean with an actual rock taken from the Moon by
NASA.  Like I said, magickal.

Whoever sent you this does not know of Erasimierz (aka GreyRaven?)
My!
He was our first and best herald. Claire was first senechal, I think.
Andeleon, my Aries brother, is back playing I think. Ah the time he
defeated the grey-faced Karl d'Gangr with only a handpuppet!
Remember?
Simon was my squire; I think most know Simon and Tessa. *sigh* I miss
them.  Michael of the Valar! Remember the Tourney of the Queen's Ice
when the Valar came in to the tent all in diaphanous Egyptian garb?
It
must have been 20 degrees and they were just toasty. Later some folk
arrested the Valar for being pagans (they were chanting "There is no
Goddess but Goddess and She is Our Goddess!") Then St. Clair appeared
(standing on my icechest) and admonished us not to pick on poor
pagans.
A lesson Mr. Bush still has not learned. What memories. Master
Gwylym,
how many SCAdians did he rescue? What a master of sciences with such
compassion.

As far as what anyone did to merit Jim and Carol's (wolf: Sean &
Katerina)
pleasure, best ask Jim directly. I flatter myself to think that I
upheld
what chivalry there was on the field, helped with administering it.
Tried
to get others to play with as much heart as I did. This was before
the
darktimes of Jonathan. Before they tried to banish the light of the
star. Even with that, we played strongly and away from their stones
(wolf:
a reference to the game of Go, our group of the the old guard was and
still
is heavy into Go).

Glad to hear from you, my Brother. I play but lightly now. Maybe I
should play with the pirates, the Brethern of the Coast. Free men are
more liable to tell you the truth than those in chains.

As ever,
J. Ellsworth Weaver
aka
Sir Balthazar of Endor,
Dwarf Lord
Ringthegn of Ravensword
Order of the Misty Star
First Knight Marshal of Ansteorra
Last Ard Rhi of the Ard Dhuine (wonder if The High People is in their
history?)
Chronicler of Tarn Mist
Author of "The Rising of the Star" (first 8 verses, I think)

=====
"That proves you are unusual," returned the Scarecrow; "and I am
convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world
are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a
tree, and live and die unnoticed." -- L. Frank Baum in _The Land of
Oz_