ANST - costuming for the summer

Jennene Stanley mooharpist at mmcable.com
Tue Apr 4 16:17:43 PDT 2000

> Not to stop the wonderful conversations on archery but for those of us
> that are worried about what to wear in the heat of the summer in this area
> we would like to hear what your favorite things to wear are and how you
> made them. :)
>
> Sincerely,
> Chiara Francesca

     At summer events, in my campsite, and when doing some running around, I
wear a ropa over a chemise with a small ruff. The ropa is a light material
and has 4-6 fasteners in the front so that I an get some air moving. ( I
have added a picture of a "summer" ropa with it's period counterpart to my
website) I wear cotton chemises rather then linen because they're less
expensive and I can throw them in the washer and dryer. I have found that I
stay cooler with my body covered. (a lesson learned from observing Arabic
clothing). I wear short drawers and short stockings (i.e. socks since I
rarely go barefoot). I do not wear a corset or any other restrictive
clothing (luckily I'm not blessed with "endowments" <very big cheesy
grin> ). I wear a lightweight white coif over my hair, sometimes with a wide
brim hat, similar to the one pictured in QEWU). That way I can keep cool and
out of the Emergency Room while still wearing late period clothing.

Just my 0.02

Anya
Jennene Stanley
"Vanity working on a weak mind produces every sort of
  mischief"         - Jane Austen
"Mooharpist"    send e-mail to : Mooharpist at mmcable.com
 Elizabethan (& Regency)  Website http://phelan.ou.edu/anya
.