ANST - The Bishop's Letter

Scot and Domino Eddy domino7 at texas.net
Tue Apr 4 23:01:00 PDT 2000

Here is another "authentic, genuine" letter found just recently at Bryn Gwlad's
Library of St. Michael. Could this be the same Boar's Breast at Bryn Gwlad's Le
Grande Dispute?

To the Right Worshipful Bishop of Bjornsburg, I commend me to you as a brother.
Upon my appointment to the Bishopric of Bryn Gwlad I was astounded to find that
there existed a den of such iniquity that the whole of this fair barony quakes
in fear for its very soul. Men, women, and children are at grave risk of their
place in Heaven.
    My arrival in the city took me past this pestilent hovel whereupon several
strumpets called out to me. Beggars, ill-seeming women, louts, knaves, and all
manner of terrible men were gathered around it. Believe me when I tell you, dear
brother in Christ, that I appealed to the Queen of Heaven, the Virgin Mary, and
all the saints to protect me from this horrid place. Rarely a night passes by
without a brawl or even a murder. And I think that should Jack Horn, the vile
owner of this wretched place, have his way every every woman would work for him,
every man would be indebted to him, and an honest man would be fearful of his
life.
    I write to ask your advice, as a wise and elder Bishop, how to deal with
this bawdy house. Should I approach the Baron or should I instead enlist the aid
of the Captain of the Guard? As a shepherd of this flock I feel it necessary to
fight this pestilence.
    I eagerly await your reply. Written in haste this Sowlmas Day.

Bishop William Dunston, a humble sinner