ANST - Viking Terms

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Tue Aug 1 21:40:50 PDT 2000

From: Baronman at aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 23:36:17 EDT

>  Can any of you Viking- Scandahuvian type personas help?  what would be the
>equivalent term for a Baron in Viking 13th-14th century.  My research would
>bet on "Thane," but this isn't quite accurate either.  Any help out there?
>No- I am not planning on changing personas.
>
>      Baron Bors
>      Baron Loch Soillier

Well, I'm not a Viking, but as a 13th century Irish Celt, my personna must have some Viking ancestory. <grin>

The List of Alternate Titles at http://www.sca.org/heraldry/titles.html says that "Thegn" is actually Old English, while most of the Scandanavian languages show "Baron" as the preferred title -- with the exception of Old Norse, which gives the title "Hersir".

Hope this helps.

Padraig

--
Nunc Est Bibendum