ANST - Translation

Spatsman at aol.com Spatsman at aol.com
Tue Aug 22 02:21:59 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/21/00 9:26:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
perryroyce at hotmail.com writes:

<< You may not be the person I want to contact, but hopefully you can refer
me
 to the proper person.
 I am looking for someone who can translate the phrase "They Shall Be Free"
 into 14/15th century gaelic. Can you help?
 Thank you.
 Royce
 _ >>
Well, this phrase has no immediatly apparent difference from period to
modern, when translated to Irish. The Scottish may be somewhat different.
In Irish, the phrase "Siad beidh scaoil saor" would be 'they are/will be
free'. This particular phrase led me to choose 'scaoil saor' to specifically
mean freedom of a person or persons, as from imprisonment, as I assumed that
"They" were not wishing to advertize themselves as a bargain.
This will hopefully give you some beginning material.
~Fionnagan