ANST - Just a question - Sites

Chris Backus cbackus at peakonline.com
Tue Aug 22 18:27:59 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "gptaylor" <gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu>
To: <ansteorra at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 6:11 PM
Subject: Re: ANST - Just a question - Sites

> Hawkins....have you caught up on sleep since Pennsic?  ;)

Oh, I'm well rested.  You'll be able to tell if I'm not - I get grumpy for
no reason : )

> I think that Harry was thinking of last month, when I travelled to
Dallas/Ft
> Worth/Arlington/Athens four weekends in a row.
> It was the luck of the draw, really.  We Southern Folk need to see if we
can get
> Kein to win crown again...or raise up someone new.

Harry should be able to remember further than a month, I give him more
credit than that.  Besides which, we had one event at Canton in that month
of Central Regional physically located events.

> Populationwise, Dallas is probably in the middle of things...but if you go
> groupwise, folks from La Marche Sauvage have to drive between 10 and 11
hours to
> get to Canton, according to Lycos.  Another calculation reveals that the
kingdom
> is about 15 driving hours from top to bottom.   Though closer calculations
> cannot be made (somehow, Killeen ends up taking longer from Fairview than
Austin
> from Fairview...)...this makes the center of the Kingdom....between 1.5
and 2.5
> hours of Bjornsborg.  That's REALLY NEAR ME.  We'll compromise...can we
hold
> everything in Tempio??  :)

Did you consider how far the Western Region has to drive to Canton?  I think
they're probably up there....

> Seriously, though...with Elfsea, Steppe's and Loch Ruadh holding events at
> Canton, I will admit that I've seen WAYYYYYY too much of that site and its
> various biblical plagues (wind, locusts/crickets, rain, flood, etc.  The
the
> ATYC fireworks may have been "fire from the sky"...I want to pass on the
Rivers
> of Blood) .  Anyhow...I've been told by some Elfsea folks that they are
looking
> for a new site.  It used to be so nice to arrive at that old campground a
> relatively few miles after the I-35 split....

Is that the one that was in a cow pasture?  I was at an Elfsea Defender
during on of Kein's reigns that flooded.  At least the ants didn't float as
agressively....

> And...when did people lose the right to grumble a little about something,
just
> because someone else has an even greater inconvenience?

They didn't.  He was well able to grumble.  I grumbled back when I felt him
rude, that's freedom of speech for you.

> Isobel

Hawkins