ANST - Re: Camp Walls

Russell Husted husted at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 24 08:22:26 PDT 2000

Goodness when I mentioned walled tents it wasn't with the idea of keeping
people out, but mearly to hide mundane tents.  Since I have never traveled
out of kingdom I did not realize what happens in other kingdoms.

My household is working on a period encampment.  We have some very beautiful
tents that shouldn't be walled in, but displayed for all to see and enjoy.
--------------------------

In actuality, fabric walls on a couple of sides is a period, although middle
eastern, practice. It can be very helpful in keeping kids safe...but I agree
that it should not be done to keep others out, unless that is what you
really want. I love to keep my fire open at night to the wondering bard, and
have chocolates and other tasties most of the time for them, And
occationally something to add to their mug.

I have no SCA experience outside our kingdom and one trip to Gulf Wars, and
I very much enjoy the open camps and friendliness of our people.

A fabric wall that is open on the road side of your camp is still a good
thing in my opinion. It is open to people passing by.

sincerely,
mahee