ANST - FW: Musing on August 23 -- The Enigma of the World

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Thu Aug 24 17:23:34 PDT 2000

- -----Original Message-----
From: Ellsworth Weaver [mailto:astroweaver at yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 17:22
To: 2thpix at surfari.net
Subject: Musing on August 23 -- The Enigma of the World

Dear Folk,

On August 23, 1628, a royal cupbearer made Admiral and Duke, was
assassinated and most of England rejoiced.

George Villiers, the second son of Sir George Villiers, was born
August
20, 1592 at Brooksby, Leicestershire. He came to the court of James I
in 1614, a young English lad of twenty-two. James became smitten with
George and made him his cupbearer (don’t ask) and his private
secretary. James was tiring of another aging young lad, Robert Carr,
who threatened to "spill the beans" on James’ rather acute interest
in,
shall we say, unusual practices.  In 1615 Carr was disgraced and sent
to prison. James I then struck up a very strong friendship with
George.
James was 48.

In 1616 George was knighted by his grateful King and then raised to
the
peerage as Viscount Villiers. He was then raised to Earl of
Buckingham
in 1617, and Marquis in 1618. We have already talked about that he
accompanied Prince Charles (later Charles I) on his wifely fishing
expedition to Spain where they tried to get Charles hooked up to the
Spanish infanta. It was during this absence that a lonesome James
awarded George the title of Duke of Buckingham.  He soon became the
second wealthiest noble in England.

Okay, you might be saying, be snide about James and George. Would you
like a quote from James I on it? Here you go:

"I am neither a god nor an angel but a man like any other, and
confess
to loving those dear to me more than other men. You may be sure that
love the Earl of Buckingham more than anyone else . . . Christ had
his
John [so Christopher Marlowe  had said], and I have my Steenie."

"Steenie?" James called George Villiers that because he resembled the
St. Stephen in a stain glass window in the royal chapel. Letters went
to and fro under these affectionate titles: from "your loving Dad",
"dear dog Steenie." You might check out a painting or two of young
Buckingham. The boy had nice legs.

Due to Spain’s refusal to allow a marriage of Charles with their
royalty, Buckingham preached a war against those rude Spaniards. Of
course, in the meantime, Buckingham arranged for Charles to marry
Henrietta Maria, another Catholic princes, from France. Parliament
was
not at all happy with an active Catholic on the throne.

 His power continued to increase until he became virtual ruler of
England about 1624, a position he retained with the accession of
Charles in 1625. Parliament distrusted and resented Buckingham,
however, and used his disastrous military expedition to Cádiz while
lord high admiral (he was awarded that in 1619) as an excuse to
impeach
him. To prevent a trial Charles dissolved Parliament.

On August 23, 1628 at the age of 36, George was about to sail off for
an expedition to help rescue the Huguenots (Protestants) at La
Rochelle. He had led an unsuccessful attempt the year before. As he
was
preparing to sail from Portsmouth, he was stabbed to death by a
disgruntled subaltern, John Felton, resulting in general jubilation
in
London. He was none the less buried in Westminster Abbey, near the
tomb
of King James. The tomb bears the inscription "the Enigma of the
World."

What have we learned from this? Kings can be very nice to folks they
really like? With hard work, diligence and a great pair of legs,
anyone
can go far? Kings may do things openly for which lesser folks would
be
hanged for doing privately? Hmmm. Personally, I find it odd that
those
who most condemn homosexuality use a Bible with King James’ name on
the
cover. No offense.

If you are out retrieving Huguenots or just driving your Yugo and
somehow you want to send these missives out to someone else, please
leave my name and sig. attached.

Bearing my own cup, thank you,
J. Ellsworth Weaver

SCA – Sir Balthazar of Endor
AS – Polyphemus Theognis
TRV – Sebastian Yeats

=====
SmileWeavers Astrology Charts & Interpretations
Modern & Medieval (but always discreet)
If you are interested, contact me at
astroweaver at yahoo.com or 805.473.8867

Read back issues of Musings at http://www.surfari.net/~2thpix/amuse/