ANST - Just a question - Sites

sluggy slugmusk at home.com
Tue Aug 22 23:42:48 PDT 2000

Fitzmorgan at cs.com wrote:

> My proublem with the Canton Site is how quickly and consistantly
> it Floods if you get a big storm.

Amen! Ya know, in the last coupla years, I'm sure SOME events were held in
Canton without at least some rain, but Lughnasad was the first time I have been
dry (not counting sweat) for an entire event at Canton since ATYC, and I'm not
entirely sure it didn't sprinkle then!

My first SCA camping experience involving rain was Gulf War VIII (go figure!).
This was followed by a long string of nearly uninterrupted rainy events at
Canton: Elfsea Spring Fair with sprinkles, a flooding Steppes Warlord (renamed
Warluge in my circles), another Elfsea Defender with a little rain Saturday
night (which could never have spoiled that incredibly special weekend for ME),
[Was last Three Kings dry?], this last Spring Faire's Friday night ravages
(which Lady Gabrielle and I cleverly missed by running about 6 hours late) and a
camper-destroying storm at Steppes Warlord. We had only narrowly chosen Warlord
over Cancun by virtue of cost; we kept reminding each other all weekend that we
could have been in on a beach in Mexico.

Scattered among these were several other events attended at other places, only
two of which suffered rain: Gothic War 1999 and Gulf Wars IX. It is my
understanding that at least some rain is pretty likely during any Gulf War and
the rain at Gothic War came hard and fast on Sunday afternoon after I was
already packed up (others were not so lucky)

>  Other than that it's a great site.

Generally, I agree, especially during the hot months, for we can all plug in
fans and in many cases, air conditioners.

In my opinion, there are two things that are really bad about Canton.

First, for a local Elfsea/Steppes event, it's about a hundred miles from my
house. That's not really THAT far for camping, but it makes day tripping a
"local" event very difficult to be worth the time.

Second, it's awfully mundane. The paved roads are great for setting up and
packing up and they help make the flooding more tolerable, but they detract
greatly from the primitive feel of other sites. Likewise for the sheer number of
massive mercury vapor lights, though I think we could probably address the
lighting, at least in the camping areas.

In any case, Canton is a great site for accomodating a sizable event and having
Juanita's and Dairy Palace nearby can't hurt, but I would like to see a few
events elsewhere.

Sluggy the long-winded!