ANST - Fixing Ren Faire Type Moccasin Boots

gunnora at realtime.net gunnora at realtime.net
Fri Feb 4 13:53:22 PST 2000

'wolf asked:
>got a pair of damaged "Bald Mountain" moccasins (rat damage on
>one... that i would like to have repaired.  the estimate from
>BM was too high (almost as expensive as having a new pair
>made ... makes sense, they probably make more money selling
>new than repairing old)

You're giving Bald Mountain a bum rap.  It's usually *more* work to take those
things apart and fix them than it is to build a pair new.

You don't mention where the damage is, but usually you can't patch this type
of moccasin.  You have to take it apart, create a new piece to replace the damage
piece, then put it back together again.

If it's on the toe (vamp) then this involves completely disassembling the shoe,
because you have to take the sole off to do the rest.

Now, damage to a trim piece is possibly a different story -- except if it is
necessary to lay stuff out flat to sew it with the commercial sewing machine,
where you again get into disassembly/reassembly issues.

I don't happen to recall the URL, but there is an enlightening "how to" article
explaining exactly how the "Ren Faire" style moccasin boots are made available
online.  You might check it out.

::GUNNORA::