ANST - Another idea (ladders)

Keith Hood keith_dell at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 10 08:20:08 PST 2000

><< all in all, ladders are a *bad* idea in this scenario .. and i doubt
>  that any sane marshal would allow them (mention it to the scadian
>  lawyers & insurers and watch the blood pressure rise before your
>  eye's ...).   >>

I can't see them being any worse than assault towers or ramps.  Their point
is to stand still and provide a platform so an archer can see over the wall,
not to be moved up to the wall and have people running over them.  They'd be
used back from the walls where the press isn't as thick.  If stability is a
worry, add angle brackets to the bottoms of the legs and stake them down
like a tent.

And I'm not talking about something like the fire department would use; I'm
talking about using a common household stepladder and being no more than 4
or 5 feet off the ground.  Given that short a height  and being more distant
from the walls than where ramps are used, I think the degree of risk is
acceptable.

And don't talk to me about the $!#@$@#!*** lawyers and insurers.  This is
our thing, not theirs.

      Tomonaga

--
A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.

        -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
               By Robert E. Howard, who should be
                 the patron saint of Ansteorra