ANST - Kingdom membership

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 10 08:30:38 PST 2000

I was sad to see some controversy about paying for memberships.

I truly believe if a person has spent a few months with the SCA and has
found that they enjoy the game and are willing to put forth a significant
portion of their income to acquiring the things they need to be "medieval"
then they should really consider becoming a member.

Indeed our mundane monetary obligations should come first, but if a person
is willing to spend hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars a year
going to wars, making armour and costumes, acquiring feast gear, a pavilion
or sun shade, a trailer to carry there stuff around, asking them to be a
contributing member to the organization which is taking up most of their
spare time and change isn't such an imposition.

I think that newcomers should be giving time to make sure that this is what
they are looking for as I stated above, and I don't think a person with a
lapsed membership should be given a bad time (it happens to everyone) but if
we believe in the SCA we should support it with our memberships.

The girl scouts, boy scouts, Moose lodge, Mason's, Eastern Star, (I am not
making a religious statement here) Harley Davidson Society, Sci-Fi Fandom to
name but a few all have membership fees and newsletters, appropriate attire
that is expected, meetings and events for their groups, and I really don't
hear alot of controversy regarding membership from that quarter.

And I do put my money where my mouth is.  I have been a member since 1982
and both my husband and I send in our own separate memberships
because we like the convenience of having two Kingdom Newsletters (read in
here - where did mine go, ah here I found one *grin*)

I think a wonderful idea to try here in Ansteorra would be to offer a paid
membership or a membership renewal as a prize for an occasional contest or
tournament.

I hope I am not the minority here...

Larissa