ANST - Kingdom Membership/Pay to Play

Joe acrubray at flash.net
Thu Feb 10 17:51:00 PST 2000

>Ly Maili Donnel MacGregor wrote:
>
>This brings up a point I want to make. Most people who do not have a lot of
>money don't go to all the wars and events. They plan and skimp to go the
one
>or two events a year and that is the only time they go. The hit the sale
>tables for fabric. I usually don't pay past $2 a yard. Then it is off to
the
>Garage sales and Goodwill for everything else. Food at events when I
started
>was a few loafs of homemade bread and a pot of "stone soup." That means a
few
>of us divvied up the ingredients and put it in the pot. Over the campfire
not
>a grill.
>
>These are the people who will have a hard time paying.  Not the ones that
go
>to everything. These are also the people who will work just to get into the
>event without charge. I did this many a time at camp Burnett. I am thankful
>could do that.
>
>These are also the people that will never tell you there is a financial
>problem and just stop coming to events. If we nurture them in the longrun
>they will become valued members that will pay as soon as they can. With
more
>joy than you can imagine but you will never know.

    There is 'good and bad' on both sides.  For those that "truly" have
financial difficulties in coming up with the Annual Membership then
concessions should and could be made.  For those who (year in and year out)
show up to "play" in fancy (sometimes expensive) new garb, tents, vehicles,
armor, etc. I dont think they deserve any concessions.  That issue has been
raised here by several people.  In order for the Society to survive it needs
Membership -- individuals that flaunt the "true" meaning of the Society so
they can "play" but refuse to "pay" are the ones that need to be addressed
as to why they should "join".  Imagine the example they set for prospective
members.

Ld Brennan