ANST - Kingdom Membership/Pay to Play

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Feb 11 08:29:09 PST 2000

> Most people who do not have a lot of
> money don't go to all the wars and events. They plan and skimp to go the one
> or two events a year and that is the only time they go.
>
> These are the people who will have a hard time paying.  Not the ones that go
> to everything. These are also the people who will work just to get into the
> event without charge. I did this many a time at camp Burnett. I am thankful I
> could do that.

<sigh> Okay, why is it that whenever a topic is introduced the sides inevitably
go to the extremes as examples. If someone says that, for example, we shouldn't
beat dogs with clubs someone will then say "What if you are attacked by a wild
dog while hiking the Appalachian Trail? Then what?"

This gets away from the basic statement to the extreme. The basic premis of
this discussion is that membership should have some benefits. Nobody has
championed the idea of not allowing non-members to attend anything. If this
couple is so poor that they can only attend one or two events a year they
should not be members. Nobody would ask them to be. They would not really
be contributing members anyway. The discussion is that if someone is a
very active participant of the SCA and cared about it they should be paid
members as well. The discussion is also about the fact that being a member
should have some small advantages over being a non-member. Nothing
huge: discounts at events, the ability to be an Officer, the newsletter, etc...
That's all. No big conspiracy or elitism. No big "social strata" thing.
But if we have being a member to have no benefits then who would want the
small hassle of being a member? We could all be non-members and take
advantage of the benefits of the Society. I feel this is wrong.

If you are an active player in the SCA you should support the group. Why is
this such a radical thought?

Of course the mere fact that your $35 dollars a year is helping the organization

you love is the greatest benefit in my mind.  But I'm just a radical.

> Ly Maili Donnel MacGregor

Yers,

Gunthar