ANST - membership

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Fri Feb 11 13:00:21 PST 2000

Hear, hear!

If we see a problem that needs fixing (such as a deserving friend who would like
to have an SCA membership but can't afford one), let's not have our first
instinct be to want someone else to take care of the problem. We see lots of
that kind of thinking in our bloated government bureaucracies, and where has it
gotten us?

Rather than wishing that this problem would be fixed by SCA, Inc, or the Kingdom
of Ansteorra, or some other anonymous entity, let's get in the habit of fixing
the problems we see ourselves (if we can). [That goes hand-in-hand with an
attitude of being responsible for our own decisions, and accepting the
consequences of our actions - but that's another topic. *grin*]

So... do you know someone who needs a membership, but can't afford it? If you
can afford to help them out, do so! If you can't, then stir up your friends who
agree that this person deserves their help. Encourage raffles and drawings for
memberships (if you're in a position to do so), and do likewise to reward people
who already have memberships.

We have a drawing for a door prize at Stargate's monthly Populace meeting.
Everyone with a membership card puts it into a "hat". We usually have a nice
door prize that's been donated; but if not, Baroness Neassa and I buy the winner
a year's subscription to the Baronial newsletter.

Yours,
Michael Silverhands