ANST - membership

Kevin Varner KVarner at PlanView.com
Fri Feb 11 15:34:08 PST 2000

	I think this hits it on the head. I see no need to take up
collections so that a random someone can have a membership. We are not
trying to subsidize someone who cannot afford to pay for membership. If they
cannot afford it, they cannot afford it. I have some gaps in my membership
sequence due to cash flow. We do not want to direct how people spend their
money. We have to convince the regular player, who isn't destitute :-), that
it is in their interest to purchase the membership.
	Many benefits have been outlined during this thread. The biggest one
I see is information. Yes, the information tends to be available online -
about events - if someone wants to take the time to make it so. The TI is an
excellent source of ideas and information. To get it, ya gotta sign up. The
Compleat Anachronist series as well, ya gotta sign up.
	I admit that I have really never been fond of the 2-tier pricing for
an event (member vs non-member). I have had friends who have said that an
extra $12 at the door would have cancelled the trip because that would have
been the gas money (sometimes carpools are not convenient).

Duncan MacConacher
Bryn Gwlad

(snipped)

> Brennan wrote:
>
> Here is an interesting thought!  I wonder how many non-members (commenting
> here) find a way to remit approx $19.95 a month for internet connectivity

I don't think that we need to be accusitory or judgemental of how people
choose to spend their money.  If someone tells me they cannot afford the
membership I have to take them on their word.

It will be more productive to concentrate on ways to make it attractive to
be a member than on trying to ferret out those who "could" pay, but are
choosing not to.

Alys
Steppes.