ANST - Re: Memberships

Patrick J.Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Mon Feb 14 15:05:16 PST 2000

My oldest daughter Katherine, who is now 19, has been a member since she was
10 years old. She started paying for her own membership when she was 13.
When she was 15 years old she was asked to serve upon the court of her then
Majesty of Atenveldt as a lady in waiting.  At that time, she also received
her AoA.  She didn't play with the kids on the playground.  She played in
the Society as anyone over 18 would.  Sometimes, even better.

Granted, this is uncommon with children -- but I believe just about every
group has had a similar instance in its' past.  How would we tell those
young men and women that their vote is worth less than "Joe Newbie" tossing
his cookies in the grass of his first event because he's a member over 18?

Some of these children contribute more than their parents.  It is a
disservice to them, and to ourselves as an organization to treat them less
because they are not emancipated.  Of course, simple blanket generalizations
because of age are simple.  However, I believe that it is probably a moot
point.  If you accept someone's money as a member of a non-profit
organization, you must provide them the services that any member can receive
(within the confines of the Law). They cannot reasonably expect involvement
on the list field, or in administrative areas due to legal concerns.  That
does not however deprive them of the ability to exercise their other
involvement within the organization.  If that is not acceptable to the
membership, membership forms should say, "Only persons over 18 years of age
may apply for membership".  Until that happens, we are once again arguing at
the wind.

Petruccio