ANST - why membership

PKieferjr at aol.com PKieferjr at aol.com
Mon Feb 14 16:52:48 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/14/00 12:05:37 PM Central Standard Time,
kaitlyn_mckenna at hotmail.com writes:

<< Greetings

 The desire to increase membership in the SCA does not stem from any
 local(kingdom) need, but a need for the whole SCA.  Membership numbers
 across the Known World are dropping..not maintaining or increasing.  This
 affects our insurance rates(they see a dying organization).  SCA, Inc.
 allows all of us to play our game, but membership dues are the only way it
 receives income to pay for all of its fixed costs. As membership
 decreases..the costs don't.  In order to avoid raising membership costs or
 requiring pay to play, all the kingdoms need to encourage paid membership
 growth.  If we don't, we are shooting ourselves in the foot.  The advantage
 of paid membership is an ongoing opportunity to play our game.

 kaitlyn mckenna >>

Yanno, this sounds like the old "chicken and egg" situation.

To explain how it relates to memberships, let us revisit the old economics
lesson of "supply and demand".  We have a high demand, and we run low, so the
price gets driven up.  Now we have a lowered demand, and more supply, but we
haven't lowered the price yet.

The point:  The SCA, Inc. has driven the price up above what the demand was
willing to pay.  Result:  Lowered demand.

How do we solve this?  The laws of economics demands that the prices be
lowered to increase the demand.  So, why aren't we following the laws of
economics?

Lord Johanne Kiefer Hayden          Paul E. Kiefer, Jr.
Barony of Bryn Gwlad                "Insanity with an attitude."
Kingdom of Ansteorra                pkieferjr at aol.com