ANST - <<long>> Heal Thyself first -- A soapbox and questionnaire.

Patrick J.Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Tue Feb 15 09:28:31 PST 2000

> This is something that in my short time in the SCA I've seen go through
> fluctuations, just as many other aspects of the Society. This is not
> something that is because of the corporation at all. From what I've
> seen, it happens as follows:
>
> 1) A bunch of "old-timers" do a lot of work.
> 2) Newcomers don't volunteer because work is being done by the
> "old-timers".
> 3) "Old-timers" get burnt out and stop working.
> 4) Newcomers still don't volunteer because they feel it isn't their place.
> 5) Newcomers start doing a lot of work and become "old-timers".
> 6) Go to 1

I concur.  This is a fairly good life cycle across the board in the SCA.
The only way that I have ever found to short circuit the cycle is to have
a proactive group of autocrats who will grab new people every time they
start a project.

The difficulty with this is that not all service oriented people are
comfortable approaching people this way.  You really have to be a bit of
an extrovert and have a bit of an ego to constantly walk up to people you
don't know and ask them if they'd like to bust their hindquarters with
you.

We really don't have a tradition of that type of training here either.
Autocrats tend to be lone riders than congregating in flocks.  There
have been discussions in some service quarters on how to change this.
Some people feel that you cannot teach "service".  You can however teach
time management, organizational skills, and communicative abilities.
It's okay to strive to become a Knight
because that is a noble and chivalrous undertaking.  It is also okay
to strive to become a Laurel because that is to excel in the Arts and
play a part in forming the beauty of the world we live in.  There
is a stigma that seems to be attached to striving to become a Pelican
because you are perceived as some type of "political animal".
Unfortunately, without the training and guidance involved in that area
you run low on trained, functional autocrats.  This doesn't just apply
at the Peerage end of the scale, but all up and down the service ladder.
One must always strive to be, "The Good Civil Servant", a term that is
actually part of the ceremony in another Kingdom.

We are not training good civil servants here, we are hoping for the best.

<<<<<snippage>>>>>>>

> The hardest part is to get the people to go from #4 to #5 without
> dropping out of the Society. (This is usually the time period for
> turnover in my experience.)

That will always be difficult.  And even though you may train people
and move them into those positions, you will loose some.  There is
a fairly high price to pay for that, and it is usually innocence.  If
you think about all the mundane issues, large and petty problems
associated with running an event.  The fulfilling the needs and desires
of the "powers that be" at an event (even at the expense of what has
already been planned for the past 2 months).  You can see where that
gilding can tarnish.  You end up becoming like the wizard in the Wizard
of Oz.  Most folks not seeing the man behind the curtain that makes
"The Great and Powerful OZ" work.  Many people loose interest when
they see that part of the Society and move on.  You take your fulfillment
knowing that the beautiful court was due in part to the crew that hung
the banners, built the stage, moved the thrones a half mile from
the list field in 5 minutes.  You take your joy from the faces reflecting
the happiness of stepping back 500 years in time without knowing the
100 mundane things that had to happen for them to do that.

It is an aspect of the Society that many of us miss out on.  Unfortunately,
you can never be the same once you start walking down the path.  It's like
knowing how to do the magic tricks while watching the magician.

Some of us have discussed this over the past year.  Since the topic has come
up on the list -- I for one would like to know how just this microcosm of
the
Kingdom feels.  This is informal for my use to approach my Brothers and
Sisters
of the Pelican in addressing the service needs of the Kingdom.  I will be
more than happy to share this information with whomever is interested.  Just
because I may have the shiny medallion doesn't make my feeling any more
"true",
they just may have more baggage attached to them  :)

1.  Have you ever autocratted an event, and why?

2.  Would you autocrat an event in the future?

3.  If the answer to the above was "No", would you consider
    autocratting if there was someone available to act as a
    "Mentor"? (If you answered "Yes", do you realize that
    you are way too sane to be involved in this conversation?)

4.  Do you believe that we need to provide more instruction
    in running events and offices within the Kingdom?

5.  Do you feel more comfortable contacting someone if you
    would like to get involved, or do you like someone to
    see work you are doing and approach you?

6.  What responsibility do the Officers of this Kingdom
    have in promoting and training service individuals.
    What would you like to see done differently?

7.  What responsibility do the Pelicans of this Kingdom
    have in promoting and training service individuals.
    Have we fulfilled those obligations?  Where have we
    come up short?   <<It's okay, you can be blunt.  Most
    of us have pretty thick skins....er...feathers, and
    skulls>>

8.  And finally.....If Bob has a rooster that is standing
    on the center peak of a house.  Which direction will
    the egg roll--to it's left or right?

Maestro Petruccio Alfonso Maria Cuccieri de Cataluna, OL OP
<<<<<yeah, now you know why I just go by Petruccio :)>>>>>>