ANST - laws of economics and membership

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Feb 15 09:47:08 PST 2000

Kaitlyn McKenna (kaitlyn_mckenna at hotmail.com) said something that sounded like:
> Actually, one can only lower the price of an item to the extant that it
> covers the cost of the item. Current prices in the SCA cover the cost of the
> SCA, Inc.  The prices really shouldn't go lower by definition.

That depends on the way the pricing is done.

There are static parts and variable part of pricing.

For example:

1) Every subscribing member gets a copy of the Blackstar. $x goes to the
   Kingdom for printing and mailing. This is the same across all Kingdoms.
2) Every subscribing members gets a copy of the TI. $x goes to this.
3) Every member helps pay for insurance. $x goes to this.
4) Every member helps pay for corporate overhead. $x goes to this.

Now #1 and #2 are probably fairly static numbers for every member.

#3 can either be static or variable depending on the insurance. If we
have to pay $x for every member, then it's static, if it's $x every year
no matter how many members, than it's variable.

#4 is variable.

If #3 and #4 are variable, than you can lower membership costs per year
with more paid members. Now with #1 and #2 being static, it may be
difficult to lower it much depending on how much is approtioned to each
category.

Ciao,