ANST - Symptoms (was Membership Numbers)

Keith Hood keith_dell at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 16 12:51:06 PST 2000

The most important question about shrinking numbers of paid memberships is,
why is it happening?  We must answer that question before we can make a
reasonable decision what to do about it.

The paid membership count is not a cause; it is a symptom of the real
problem(s).  It may be a good idea to ask each branch to provide the kingdom
seneschal with a kind of a state-of-the-group note concerning its paid
membership, a sort of informal report on group size and morale (unless
that's already done under some other name and I'm just not aware of it).
And whatever is reported, we have to realize that real-life concerns such as
job concerns may be beyond our power to affect.

(What the heck happened to Stargate?)

As someone else has asked, do the numbers represent a drop in the number of
people actually showing up at meetings and events, or do they represent only
the percentage of people buying memberships?  What we really need in
addition to the membership card numbers, is to start keeping a real head
count that reflects actual breathing bodies, not just go through membership
card records.  Such a count could be done fairly quickly; an officer of each
barony/canton/whatever, who is familiar with the actual people, could go
through it's phone list and make a fairly accurate count of the people, and
report that.  To make it even more accurate, the count could be divided into
groups according to degree of regularity in participation.  With such a
count in hand, we could then see if we are really shrinking, or shrinking
only in willingness to buy memberships.

      Tomonaga

--
A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.

        -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
               By Robert E. Howard, who should be
                 the patron saint of Ansteorra