ANST - Membership Numbers

amberd at flash.net amberd at flash.net
Wed Feb 16 12:55:55 PST 2000

On Wed Feb 16 13:51:57 2000, > Michael Silverhands wrote:

> Thanks, Burke! Good and interesting stuff.
>
> The generally downward trends are obvious and alarming. Overall, it looks
like> I'm sure I'll have many questions as I digest the numbers (whether I post
them,
> or simply mutter them to myself, remains to be seen *grin*). I'd like to start
> off with this:
> membership peaked in '92, plunged in '93, partially recovered in '94 and '95,
> and has somewhat leveled off since then.

The trend is not 'alarming' nor obvious.  Your evaluation of the overall data
is correct, but the trend is mostly driven by the baronies. Also make sure to
notice that at the end of 93 and begining of 94 two baronies didn't report any
data. Towards the end of 96 the baronies show a slight downward trend but the
smaller groups are trending upward.  I didn't look to see if this was a result
of small groups sprouting off from baronies.

There are several possible reasons for the drop in 93. Growth in previous years
could have been to fast, BOD 'pay to play' conflict, US involvement in middle
east conflict (we have a lot of military players).

A slow growth is healthy...

Amerinda di Praga
(ps I did not look at 99 data)