ANST - Kingdom membership

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Sun Feb 20 06:31:51 PST 2000

leigh- at primenet.com (leigh- at primenet.com) said something that sounded like:
> Whether he buys associate or family memberships for his children is, in the
> realm of this discussion, something of a moot point. In terms of deciding
> kingdom membership size the _only_ memberships that are counted are the
> supporting.

Actually from the discussions that were going on, they are relevent. One
thing that was discussed, and from his example, is discounts at gates
for members. For those discounts, it didn't matter what type of member,
just that you were.

> I honestly feel that all the self-rightous declarations and judgments (not
> just from you) as to what another individual can or should be able to
> afford are extremely ill-mannered and certainly not the type of friendly,

That's awefully odd, because the types of posts that go to the extremes
are the same for me.

No one in these posts was taking the stance that you attribute to them,
but you accuse them of it. People were pointing out different alternatives
to increasing membership (not just the subscribing numbers), the fact
that many people who have children have to make decisions (I am one of
those people) based of many factors, and the like. They didn't tell
people that they should leave if they didn't like it, just that they
would have to weigh the cost/benefit just as they have done every time
they chose to go to an event.

Yes, some people on the fringe of being able to afford it may have to
stop. If they are that close to the edge, I recommend they stop now
instead of when the prices go up. That will be the case every year
when event costs go up to cover the increased site fees we have to pay,
better facilities at sites, etc. If instead of a $2 non-member fee it
was $1 for every person, they would still have the same type of concerns.

Btw, personally I hate the idea of a $2 non-member fee. That doesn't
mean I don't see it as a good money raiser for local groups that might
need it or a way to get money to the Kingdom for desirable things like
printing handbooks for every member that may not gotten otherwise. (Ala,
membership has its priveleges.)

Ciao,