ANST - A bit on weapons

Greg Shetler shetler at home.com
Mon Feb 21 02:47:40 PST 2000

Susan Bowen wrote:

> Greg Shetler wrote:
>

> > 1) If you construct a short axe (say, less than 3 feet long), it is just
> > about impossible to keep it under the weight limit if you use a basket hilt
>
> There are lighter baskets than the ones that you apparently have seen.  It
> makes a tremendous difference.  Or possibly you haven't seen an axe head weigh
> over a pound?  As I read the rules, there is no maximum weight for a one handed
> weapon.

In the new rules, under Weapon Standards, we have:
3.  All weapons must adhere to themaximum overall weight limits
a.  Weapons up to a length of 6 feet (1.8m) will weigh no more than 1
lb. per foot.

> > 2) With axes and glaives, which kill if the head strikes even off-edge, why
> > do we bother to mark a striking edge?
>
> They are combination weapons; the edge will do more damage than the back of an
> axe.  On the other hand, a direct strike from the back os a two pound axe head
> is no different than a two pound mace head.  It IS possible to hit too light
> with a mace for a variety of reasons.  A good axe head will reduce the chances
> of this happening.  (It will also increase the chances of an improperly thrown
> blow landing with enough force. :-))

Actually, this question refers more to the reason why we have to mark
the edge, rather than why an off-edge strike still "counts".

Thanks for your responses!

Dux