ANST - A bit on weapons

Greg Shetler shetler at home.com
Tue Feb 22 05:55:49 PST 2000

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes wrote:

> >Of the dozen or so *short* axes like the one I've described, I've seen 5
> >with hilts... (snip)
>
> I see I was unclear in my original question. Let me rephrase it:
>
> How many *medieval* axes have you seen with basket hilts?

Ah, got you.  None.

But then, how many Medieval swords have basket hilts?  More precisely,
how many swords pre-1400 had basket hilts?  And how many in our society,
regardless of the period of the fighter using them?  And of those using
gauntlets, instead, how many of them would have used gauntlets in
period?

Baskets hilts and gauntlets are an anachronism imposed by our safety
rules, and as such should be accomodated in our weight limit rules
(which are themselves an anachronism).

Dux

Dux