ANST - Apology to Gunthar and others

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Wed Feb 23 12:51:20 PST 2000

I didn't mean to suggest that the lack of role playing was Gunthar's
fault. I have talked to him in several places and he has poked fun at me
for wanting to role play. Gunthar is a very straight forward man stating
his beliefs up front. I had gotten the impression that he didn't like
role playing. I was just confused. So I asked the question.

 Not wanting to have the role playing is a valid philosophy. There are
lots of people who think having a persona is a crazy thing. They think
that we should be "real". Most people  don't role play in the sense that
we used to do in old Ansteorra. In the old days we would pretend to be
from France or Russia and speak in the language and talk about what was
happening at home. If you were from England you would gossip about
Eleanor and Henry. Now most people play around the kingdom. Your not a
knight of Germany you are a knight of the SCA. Many people think if you
are going to role play then you should do in a special place like the
"enchanted lands" at Pensic. Also your campsite is your castle. You have
the perfect right to do what ever you want. I apologize for implying that
Gunthar or you noble gentles were doing anything wrong or not living up
to your duties.

I see pageantry as more than pretty stage sets. I see people doing
things. I can see that persona and role playing may not be as needed to
have pageantry but some form of acting is needed. In my mind Gunthar  had
suggested that the 35 dollars for membership got us the Magical World of
Pageantry and I was just arguing that our show needed some work. I have
been in kingdoms that did better. I was just stating a solution to a
problem not blaming anyone.

I think Gunthar  did a great job as King. The pageantry during his and
Sara's reign was great. There was both show and set. If he doesn't want
to or does want to  play persona or promote role playing that is his
choice. Gunthar works very hard for the kingdom. I was not trying to
suggest that he  needed to do anything. I am sorry that my bad writing
looked like an attack on Gunthar.
Yours
Willow