[RE: ANST - Gulf Wars travelers]

Kristin Schumacher kschumach at usa.net
Wed Feb 23 12:31:16 PST 2000

Hi Ches,
After many trips to and from my grandparents, who live in Louisiana, and also
to past Gulf Wars, here are a few things I learned:

1. Radar Detectors are not allowed in the state.  I'm not sure if you would
get ticketed or if the police would confinscate it, but heeding my
grandparents warning we always put ours away.  So if you have one, keep it
hidden or put up.

2. If it is night time and you know you are going through a particularly
swampy area;
   (1) Make sure you have a FULL tank of gas.  You can go for a hour without
seeing even a glimmer of light from a town much less a gas station.  (Know
this from a very nerve racking experience)
   (2) If you do stop on the side of the road near a swamp.  It is best not to
get out of the car.  If you need to, make sure you have a flashlight and keep
on the look out for animals.
   (3) Beware of deer.

3.  Watch your speed the ENTIRE time you are in the state.  And if you do get
stopped for speeding, when you felt sure you were not, ask to see the radar
gun.  It is your right to see proof and I have heard of the LA police not
being overly honest at times.

Hope this helps.

In service,

Lady Annabel Kincaid