ANST - Kingdom Membership/Pay to Play

Lorraine and/or Kief deer_kief at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 10 22:29:47 PST 2000

(snipage)

>     There is 'good and bad' on both sides.  For those that "truly" have
>financial difficulties in coming up with the Annual Membership then
>concessions should and could be made.

>  For those who (year in and year out)>show up to "play" in fancy
>(sometimes expensive) new garb, tents, vehicles,>armor, etc. I dont think
>they deserve any concessions.  That issue has been
>raised here by several people.  In order for the Society to survive it
>needs >Membership -- individuals that flaunt the "true" meaning of the
>Society so >they can "play" but refuse to "pay" are the ones that need to
>be addressed >as to why they should "join".  Imagine the example they set
>for prospective>members.
>
>Ld Brennan

We will always have those people who get their information from members or
off the net and will show up at an event to "bask in the ambiance".  They
have no stake in the SCA and see it just as a break from the rest of their
lives...a mini vacation. (actually some people I have talked to feel that
they support what is going on by just attending...)The trick is to get them
out of their camps and off their duffs and involved...people who have an
emotional/physical investment will make it a priority to get a membership
when they can and will cause less trouble, and take less for granted (or at
least in theory).  It also helps in retention of members in that the more
you invest the more likely you will stay in.

Trouble is that it takes our time and energy to enculturate people
and it is not assured that those people we mentor will become active members
of the populace...this is something that we have to do on a person by person
basis...there are no hard/fast/easy fixes...some people jump in at their
first event...some take years to get "the clue" (Tm) that is more fun to be
involved than to just drink beer on the sidelines...

Lorraine DeerSlayer