ANST - membership

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Fri Feb 11 15:49:04 PST 2000

Kathy Elliott <kelliott at sjgs.org> said -
>Many organizations (especially non-profits) offer financial assistance
>to those in need.
>
>Would it be possible to set up some sort of kingdom financial aid fund
>to help pay membership costs for deserving individuals?

While this is a worthy suggestion, I believe it was already addressed - official Kingdom funds cannot be used to pay for individual memberships.

An alternative might be for a private fund to be set up, but I can foresee many problems with even that - administration of the fund, ensuring that funds are properly accounted for, developing guidelines for who would be qualified to receive assistance...  Charges of embezzlement, neopotism, corruption...

Sorry.  I don't mean to sound so negative, but I have had some experience with handling funds for a non-profit group.  Given my druthers, I'd sooner go up against a Knight without my armor.

If you know of a deserving person or persons who could use some financial help to get their membership, probably the best way to do it would be to pass the hat.  One thing I do know about my fellow Ansteorrans is that they tend to be very generous people, and always willing to help out however they can.

Padraig

--
Nunc Est Bibendum