ANST - membership

dssweet at okstate.edu dssweet at okstate.edu
Mon Feb 14 07:06:06 PST 2000

Marthe de Blenkinsop said:

>I would like to comment on the "charity membership drive" conversation.  I
>have gone this route many times in my SCA career.  It is really a
disservice
>to encourage those to play who struggle to feed and clothe their families.
>It requires disposible income to play this game, lets face it.  If you
make
>yourself responsible, then be prepared to be "leaned on" on a regular
basis.
>Are we really helping those we make dependent on us?

Here is a solution that several members of Mooneschadowe have used in the
past to bypass the "charity" aspect of paying for someone else's
membership. It's been a while since they've been offered, but it did work.
We called it a "scholarship". A person who *wished* to have a membership,
but could not afford one her/himself, could apply to a person with a
scholarship. They did some kind of work, usually like mowing the lawn two
or three times, or some other type of activity (helping to clean out a shed
maybe, or washing house windows, etc.). Then the scholarship provider would
present a membership form to the applicant, get the requisite signatures, &
then write a check & mail it off to make sure that the money was used for a
membership.

Estrill Swet
Mooneschadoweshire