ANST - RE: ES - Heal Thyself first

Matthew Saroff saroff at poseidon.vs.lmco.com
Tue Feb 15 08:26:08 PST 2000

On May 25, 15:11, Pug Bainter wrote:
> This is something that in my short time in the SCA I've seen go through
> flucuations, just as many other aspects of the Society. This is not
> something that is because of the corporation at all. From what I've
> seen, it happens as follows:
	There are alternative hypotheses:
*	Ansteorra is getting too big, and hence the jobs are getting too big.
 This might indicate that creating some principalities with the explicit
understanding that they might one day go kingdom is appropriate.
*	People who want to work at the kingdom level are given the impression
that they are not part of the "right crowd".
*	Officers may have developed a "culture of griping" that scares off
potential new people.
*	It may just be the natural ebb and flow of the organization.
*	There may be structural problems contributing to this problem.
*	There may be unrealistic job requirements (as in, "You can't give that
job to someone who isn't at least a ****.", or, "You've only been a shire
officer for 4 years"), which reduce the personnel pool.

	My guess, and I make a point of not being heavily involved in such
things is that either Ansteorra is too big, or the natural ebb and flow.
	As a note, I have been privy to a number of situations where people
have consistently stated that, "They'd love to retire, but there's no one to
replace them."  In many cases, even when an appropriate replace is found, these
people need to be pried out of the position.  There may very well be people who
can do this, but they won't volunteer until they know that the position is
going begging.

--
Matthew Saroff
Do not reply directly to this message.  Reply to
msaroff at pobox.com