ANST - <<long>> Heal Thyself first -- A soapbox and questionnaire.

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Feb 16 10:03:21 PST 2000

Maestro Petruccio Alfonso Maria Cuccieri de Cataluna, OL OP wrote:

> We really don't have a tradition of that type of training here either.
> Autocrats tend to be lone riders than congregating in flocks.  There
> have been discussions in some service quarters on how to change this.
> Some people feel that you cannot teach "service".  You can however teach
> time management, organizational skills, and communicative abilities.

> Unfortunately, without the training and guidance involved in that area
> you run low on trained, functional autocrats.  This doesn't just apply
> at the Peerage end of the scale, but all up and down the service ladder.
> One must always strive to be, "The Good Civil Servant", a term that is
> actually part of the ceremony in another Kingdom.
>
> We are not training good civil servants here, we are hoping for the best.

For those wondering about what it takes to autocrat an event, or who
would like some suggestions on what has worked for others, take a look at
this file in the SCA-EVENT-PLANNING section of my Florilegium files:
autocrats-msg     (55K) 11/24/97    Suggestions for autocrats.

The rest of the files in this section might also be helpful:
demos-msg         (83K)  2/ 9/00    SCA demos for education and recruitment.
Evnt-Fee-Form-art  (8K)  4/20/99    "Event Fee Formula" by Elaina.
events.xls        (15K)  4/20/99    Excel spreadsheet for the above article.
event-ideas-msg   (49K)  9/ 4/97    Ideas for SCA events.
event-pricing-msg (14K)  1/19/96    Event pricing, reservations.
event-rev-msg     (42K)  8/27/97    Comments on past events.
feasts-free-msg   (14K) 11/11/94    Who gets in free to feasts.
gate-guards-msg   (10K) 11/11/98    Handling gate-guard for events.
privvies-msg      (16K)  6/ 9/99    Managing privvies at SCA events.
tokens-msg        (27K)  3/31/97    Ideas for feast and site tokens.

Petruccio, if you or anyone else, would like to write some articles on
"time management, organizational skills, and communicative abilities" as
it applies to the SCA, I would love to consider them for the Florilegium.
Perhaps having such articles available for the Known World as well as
for the folks in Ansteorra would help in training some new "Civil Servents".

While I realize that it is hard for an article to replace in-person
guidence and training, it can be useful.

This article in the SCA-INC section might also be useful for general
leadership ideas:
Baronial-Lead-art (18K)  5/30/97    "Principles of Leadership and a
Baron/ess"
                                       by Conor mac Cinneide.

The Florilegium can be found on the web at: http://www.florilegium.org

Lord Stefan li Rous