ANST - Unusual request

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Feb 17 09:49:08 PST 2000

> my guess would be a chili creation ....

Good guess but incorrect.
I was gifted in Court at Northern Regional Tribute
with a tureen in the shape of an armadillo by a member of
the SCA-Cooks list that I administer.

I promised Their Majesties that at some point during Their
reign I would present the tureen to High Table with a lovely
armadillo stew. I decided to make it a truly Ansteorran dish
with a nice ring of barbecued rattlesnake on mesquite and
sagebrush surrounding the tureen.

Aw...Now I've ruined the surprise!

> have eaten both meats  ... of the two, i prefer rattler (good road

> food when riding in the deserts ... easy to find, tasty, good protein
> source.

Rattlesnake is actually pretty good. Ah, memories of Ranger School.

> never really cared much for dillo, has a odd after taste (to
> my palette).

Never had it. Reports say it is similar to turkey in texture with
a different flavor. Don't worry about the aftertaste in my stew. I
can fix it.

>  as for dillo transmitting leprosy ... it's passed by a
> bacillus, so if well cooked should not  be a problem.

My thoughts as well but I would rather contact the USDA and find
an approved source. After all, Their Majesties would probably want
me to be the official taster.

> 'wolf

Yers,

Gunthar