ANST - re: Kingdom membership

dssweet at okstate.edu dssweet at okstate.edu
Fri Feb 18 13:13:21 PST 2000

     I've been examining the Kingdom membership numbers that Sir Burke has
provided [thank you , thank you] and I've got some questions.  I would
hypothesize that there should be a general increase in the number of paid
members from the 1970s to 2000, at times simply because there are more
local groups now than there was then. Yes, the grand total would fluctuate
from year to year. But if we took the average number of memberships from
the 70s, 80s & 90s, I would expect that average to gradually increase over
time. What year(s) were the BoD "pay-to-play" brouhaha? What about the
numbers from the 70s & 80s? [I'd be happy with just the Kingdom total per
year.] When was the real life Gulf War? 1991 - was that an abnormal year or
was that around normal for the previous couple of years? And don't I
remember something about a change in the TRF policy that caused a drop in
membership numbers? And which *really* had more impact on the membership
numbers: TRF, the BoD, or the Gulf War? Or was it a triple whammy that hit
all in the same year?

     I've looked at the numbers using two different methods: 1) the 1991
numbers as the base line and 2) averaging the nine years. Basically I can
say this: The northern & central areas had a very modest increase in
membership from 95-98, with a small reduction in 1999. The other regions
had either a small decrese or a drastic decrease, depending on which method
is used.  [Yes, drastic: Coastal 59%, Southern 61%, Western 75% with the
Kingdom 76%).

     I won't subject the list with my analysis of all the numbers, but if
anyone wants my results, just email me.

     Estrill
     torture the data until it confesses