ANST - A bit on weapons

Susan Bowen bbowen at ev1.net
Sun Feb 20 19:02:37 PST 2000

Greg Shetler wrote:

> 1) If you construct a short axe (say, less than 3 feet long), it is just
> about impossible to keep it under the weight limit if you use a basket hilt

There are lighter baskets than the ones that you apparently have seen.  It
makes a tremendous difference.  Or possibly you haven't seen an axe head weigh
over a pound?  As I read the rules, there is no maximum weight for a one handed
weapon.

> 2) With axes and glaives, which kill if the head strikes even off-edge, why
> do we bother to mark a striking edge?

They are combination weapons; the edge will do more damage than the back of an
axe.  On the other hand, a direct strike from the back os a two pound axe head
is no different than a two pound mace head.  It IS possible to hit too light
with a mace for a variety of reasons.  A good axe head will reduce the chances
of this happening.  (It will also increase the chances of an improperly thrown
blow landing with enough force. :-))

> 3) If we are considered to be wearing open-faced helms, so that we should
> take any thrust to the face that would have touched the face, why do we just
> shrug off incidents of our own shield bashing into our face hard enough to
> rock us?

I've called a "crusing weapon" kill from my own shield, but only once, in a
very weird situation.  I would do so again if it ever came up in the same way.

Sir William of Weir