ANST - Spear Help

Carl Chipman cchipman at nomadics.com
Sun Feb 27 20:41:58 PST 2000

Well, since no one else replied, I'll help.  The method taught to me goes like this

1) cut out about 4 or 5 circular disks (2" in diameter).
2) place disks on top of each other like so

___________________________________
|__________________________________|
|__________________________________|
|__________________________________|
|__________________________________|
|__________________________________|

|----------------------2"---------------------------|

2b) (optional) I have epoxyed each disk together before, and it seems to make the whole device act like one unit.
     Your mileage may vary.

3) Tape with (strapping tape) together by wrapping around the the top so that a side view looks like this :

___________________________________
|                      |      |                               |
|____________|   T  |_________________|
|                      |  A  |                               |
|____________|   P  |_________________|
|                      |  E  |                               |
|____________|       |_________________|
|                      |      |                               |
|____________|       |_________________|
|                      |      |                               |
|____________|____|_________________|

4) rotate the tip 90 degrees and tape again.

5) Now, from the top, the circle should have a cross going over it of strapping tape.

6) Attache the tip to the end of the rattan using several (2 to 4) or the top loops of strapping tape.

7) take the strapping tape and starting 2 or 3 inches from the end of the rattan, spiral the strapping tape up to the top of the thrusting tip.

8) spiral wrap down from the top of the thrusting tip.

9) Cover with duct tape (remembering to make the tip brightly colored if possible).

9) (optional, but very good).  Before covering with duct tape, cut 2 8" long x 2" wide strips of denim (say old blue jeans).  Like in step six, attach the strips over the top of the tip to the shaft to help provide lateral bend resistance.  Best results so far have been using this method.  Sir Asoph says that even with doing all of this he has to replace his every six months or so (but he uses them a LOT :-) )

If you need more help, feel free to e-mail me.

Jean Paul de Sens
Mooneschadowe...

Carl Chipman
Nomadics, Inc.